A paleo version of traditional apple crisp is the fall dessert you crave on cozy nights! It’s also gluten free, grain free, with a dairy free vegan option.
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cook Time 50 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Servings 8 servings
- Calories 354 kcal
- Author Michele
The Apple Part:
- 6 med apples peeled, and sliced to 1/4 inch thickness. I used Pink Lady
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup optional
The “Crisp” Part (Topping)
- 6 Tbsp organic coconut oil solid, or grass fed butter, or ghee
- 1 cup raw pecans or use nuts of choice
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with the spices and maple syrup (if using), then transfer to a 9 or 10 inch pie dish or baking dish, set aside.
- For the crisp topping, put all the ingredients in a food processor and process or pulse until the pecans are finely ground and a thick, crumbly paste is created – this won’t take long.
- If your topping isn’t thick, you can chill it for 5-10 mins in the fridge. Drop/dollop the topping all over the apples to fully cover (or as fully as possible) and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the apples are bubbling and the topping is brown and crisp. If the top browns too soon, you can cover with aluminum foil part of the way through.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes to cool down before serving warm. Serve with coconut vanilla ice cream if desired.
- There will be no leftovers, I can assure you of that! If you’re lucky enough to have some left you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days (without the ice cream!) and reheat before serving. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving
|Calories 354||Calories from Fat 252|
% Daily Value. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
|Fat 28g||43%||Fiber 6g||25g|
|Saturated Fat 13g||81%||Sugar 16g||18%|
|Sodium 40mg||2%||Protein 4g||8%|
|Potassium 217mg||6%||Vitamin A 701U||1%|
|Carbohydrates 25g||8%||Vitamin C 5.4mg||7%|
|Fiber 6g||25%||Calcium 55mg||6%|
|Sugar 16g||18%||Iron 1.1mg||6%|
Recipe by: Paleo Running Mama